Monday, December 9, 2013

DIY (No-sew) Burlap Christmas Tree Skirt

So once I convinced my husband that we should go get a real Christmas tree, even though we will only be at our house the first two weeks before Christmas, before we fly home (!) ...I decided I would make a Christmas tree skirt. The one problem is...I don't have a sewing machine...and even if I did...I don't really know how to sew. I wasn't about to start sewing things by hand. I searched high and low for a tree skirt tutorial that didn't require sewing, and none were to my liking. So I created one myself, I love how it turned out!






What you need:
1-2 yards of any color burlap (depending on how big you want your skirt) I used what I had on hand, which was about 2 yards.
A glue gun (my best friend)
A large roll of satin ribbon
Scissors

Fold your burlap in half, and then in half again to create a square. Cut the folded fabric into a quarter of a circle- to form a full circle when unfolded. You can use a ruler to measure how large you want your circle to be- I had a tree skirt on hand that I used as a template. Once your large circle is complete, cut another quarter of a circle to create the opening for your tree's trunk. 

 


Iron your unfolded circle.


Cut a 3-4 inch wide strip of burlap...I used a different color, but it can be whatever you like! Cut this strip into smaller strips, about 5-6 inches long.



Starting at one end of the small strip of burlap, begin removing the strings running lengthwise, to create a fringe. Leave about 3/4 of an inch at the top. You will need a lot of these! I created a bunch until I got bored, and then started attaching them to the skirt, and making more as I went.


Add a strip of glue with the glue gun, and attaching your fringed strips of burlap around the entire circle. Overlap about 1/2 inch at the ends so there aren't any gaps. 




Now for the satin ribbon border. This is probably the trickiest part, but once you get the technique down its super simple! The goal of this border is to add a beautiful detail, and cover the top of the burlap strips. Start by picking a spot of the circle where you are planning to cut your opening to go around the tree...(this is mainly important if your circle is not completely symmetrical...like mine).



Create a 1-2 inch strip of glue along on the top of the fringed border...you don't want to the glue to dry before you've created the ruffled detail...so start with a smaller strip of glue until you're comfortable with the technique. 


Create a ruffle. This is easiest to do by folding the ribbon to create a "bubble" in the ribbon.


Using a finger, press down on the "bubbles" you created in the ribbon. This will give you the ruffled look. This takes some time to get the hang of, so take your time- once you get it down, it goes much faster!


Once your satin ruffle is complete, cut the opening for your tree where the ends of your ribbon meet. I also added a little detail with some burlap roses and maroon satin ribbon, to tie the tree skirt in place.


Leave any questions in the comment sections below!





No comments:

Post a Comment