Monday, October 12, 2015

Sausage & Peppers

This is one of my favorite recipes to make. It is from my grandmother and my mom made it often when I was growing up. My grandmother passed away in 2013 and I think of her every time I make this. 


It's very simple and easy, but so delicious- only 5 ingredients:


To make it even easier, cut up your green peppers and onions the night before. I don't usually use shitake mushrooms, but it turned out great. You can use any mushrooms you like. I prefer to buy non-cased sausage for this, but couldn't find any at the grocery store this time around. You can also use hot or sweet italian sausage, depending on your preference. 

My grandmother was always adamant that the key to this recipe is to cook your sausage separate from the peppers and onions- or else it turns out with a funny taste. I usually cook my sausage, drain it, and set it aside. Then I rinse and wipe out the pan and cook my onions and peppers. 


Start by browning your meat in a large skillet. 


Once cooked, drain your meat and set aside. This is where that important step comes in- rinse and wipe out you pan.


Once clean, return your pan to the stove and drizzle with some olive oil. Add your peppers and onion and cook until translucent- about 5 minutes. 


Add your meat back in. Add your tomato sauce and mushrooms- I usually do about 24 oz of tomato sauce- but you can add more or less depending on your preference. 


Reduce heat to low, cover, and let cook for 30-40 minutes. 

And voila! Enjoy :)

Easy 5 Ingredient Sausage & Peppers

Ingredients: 

2-4 green bell peppers cut into strips
1 onion, sliced
3 cups tomato sauce
1 lb ground italian sausage, non-cased (I prefer hot or mild)
16 oz can mushrooms, drained (I usually use stems & pieced)
Olive oil

Directions:

1) In a large skillet, brown your meat over medium heat. Once cooked, drain and set aside. *Rinse and wipe out your pan, this is an important step to avoid the infamous "funny taste" my grandmother referred to

2) One the pan is clean, place it back on the stove and add in your green peppers and onions with a little olive oil. Cook until translucent, about 5 minutes over medium heat.

3) Add your meat back in. Add in your mushrooms and tomato sauce

4) Reduce heat to low, cover pan and cook for 30-40 minutes

Serve on sandwich rolls or in a bowl with italian bread on the side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment