Monday, June 30, 2014

Patriotic Flag Banner DIY



Things you need:
  • Scissors
  • Printed burlap (in honor of Independence Day I used these two printed burlaps from Joann Fabrics: Circles & Stars, Chevron Patriotic)
  • Glue gun
  • Jute twine
  • Template for flags- you can download mine here
  • Paper clips (optional)

Directions:
  • Iron your burlap
  • Download and print template (you can adjust your printer settings according to the size of flags you prefer)
  • Use template to cut out desired number of flags. You can pin printed template to the burlap if that helps- I just printed the template on thick card stock, laid it on the burlap, and cut around it.
  • Once you have all of your flags cut out, cut your jute twine to the desired length. 
  • Attach the flags. Here's how I did that: I stretched the twine out flat on the ground. I decided how far apart I wanted the flags by setting them on top of the twine. Once I had them where I wanted them I folded over the part indicated on the template and used paper clips to temporarily attach them to the twine. This made sure they wouldn't move when I began gluing. 
  • Glue the flags to the twine by placing a thin line along the fold line indicated on the template. This is where the twine is attached to the back of the flag to ensure the flags don't slide around. Then place another strip of glue to attach the folded flap to the back of the flag. 
  • Hang indoors or outside!  
This is a great decoration for any holiday or party... I can't wait to make more!

No comments:

Post a Comment